Health, Medical, Brain Tumor, Schwannoma, Resection, CyberKnife, & a U.S.Marine

wonky-eye.com header image 2

Two years ago today…An Update

July 13th, 2009 · 7 Comments

Two years ago today I was sitting in the Stanford Hospital waiting room worried that my husband might not make it through brain surgery. Since July 13, 2007 Travis has had too many medical appointments to count. He has been on too much medication, especially pain medication. He has been on Oxycontin, Duragesic pain patches, Methadone, Neurontin, Vicodin, and pretty much everything in between.

Much has changed in our lives over that last two years. Travis has retired from the Marine Corps. We moved out of our old apartment into the one that we are living in now. Travis had CyberKnife radiation. Victoria started middle school. We received AMAZING NEWS that Travis’ pesky Schwannoma tumor succumbed to Dr. Adler’s treatment. NO MORE TUMOR!!!! I started back at work and went back to college.

Travis accepted his dream job at Northrop Grumman. He entered through a wonderful program called Operation Impact. Since retiring from the Marine Corps. Travis has been seeing new doctors. He struggled through Methadone withdrawal and is now 100% METHADONE FREE. He has a prescription for Vicodin to use for breakthrough pain but he has not taken any since June 30th. He has come a long way from his daily doses of 3000mg of Neurontin and 10mg of Methadone.

Our offer was accepted on our first home. (We are in escrow right now.)

Travis came down with Diverticulitis and then suffered from a secondary infection as a result of the antibiotics given to him to treat the Diverticulitis.

So much has happened over the last two years.  Life sure has not been easy but things seem to be turning around.  We are learning to see the glass as half full rather than half empty.  I expect that we will continue to face hurdles but what I have learned is there is nothing that Travis and I cannot accomplish if we put our hearts into it.

Tags: Brain Tumor · CyberKnife · Cyberknife radiation · daughter · detox · doctor · Dr. Adler · Dr. Moon San Diego · emergency room · everyday life · family · follow up · Gabapentin · hospital · Marine · Methadone · Methadone Detox · military retirement · mood · Neurontin · Neurontin Information · Pain Management · positive · radiation · recovery · San Diego · Schwannoma military · Stanford · thankful · thoughts · Trigeminal schwannoma · tumor · update · Vicodin · Withdrawal

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 Steph // Aug 6, 2009 at 20:08

I’m so happy to hear that things are turning around!!

• 2 Jenny // Oct 15, 2009 at 05:26

Hi Trina,
    I hope you see this and have time to respond. I found your post on wonky-eye translating the Serenity Prayer into people language beautiful.
    With your permission, I would like to include it with the Serenity Prayer I am using in helping people change. Your post was touching and very real and now. I believe your comment would help people with this prayer in a way they won’t feel conflicted because of its religiousness.
    I am so happy for you both and your families that Travis is well on his way to making a full recovery. I hope the experience as tough as it was has benefited you both in positive and long lasting ways.
    Did you continue to use this prayer over the last two years? Do you believe it made a difference to the outcome?
    warm wishes
    Jenny

• 3 Joesph Pesqueira // Oct 26, 2009 at 00:18

Well, I am glad to hear such great news especially your financial aspect. I had a TS that was not found until after I got discharged from the military. Since I wasn’t in long enough and can’t prove that the military caused the tumor; they refuse to help me financially. The tumor is the reason I got discharged so I can change my code on my 214. But that’s it. Since I am so young, 21 years old, I am healing quickly but am still unable to work. Which causes me not to get unemployment. Since my surgery is done with and my medication almost finished and my insurance almost over things aren’t looking too great. I guess I am just looking for support .

• 4 Janet // Apr 14, 2010 at 16:43

I am pleased to hear travis is doing so well. I have a tumor also under brain they did surgery march 1st,2010 and wasn’t able to remove. I now have doublevision and am having the cyberknife radiation I need 5 treatments I have 3 left. My 1st time sounded the same as his I was scared to death, but now each time gets easier I am starting with nausea and very tired. I was feeling sorry for myself but now reading this story makes me realize there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I wish your family well and thank you for sharing your story.

• 5 mrs.ladyking // Apr 27, 2010 at 09:44

Janet keep fighting and you will be just fine!

-Travis

• 6 Gary // Aug 12, 2010 at 19:34

does anyone know of corralation between Gulf War Vets and Vestibular Schwannoma.? Is this thing really a brain tumor or outside the brain? How does one choise treatments? My wife canceled our health insurence, and did not tell me so while I was getting thrugh the process with private doctors, I found out I had no insurence, Is the VA a good Option? Just looking for some thoughts. have a daughter entering college and another in highschool soI have to keep plugging away. thanks

• 7 jeff hodgman // Dec 24, 2010 at 06:49

I have esophagal cancer, they have done chemo
    and radaition on that part,but has moved to
    t-2 thrut-3-4
    and am having cyberknife mon?
    here in vista, ca, by a great dr
    he is 70% sure he can get it maybe kill
    it as it is putting pressure on my spine
    I was up to 800 mgof morphine a day
    no ggod for pain
    thank god for va as they are taking good care of me
    so hopes have returned!!!
    I know with this cancer it is just a matter of time
    but to et rid of this pain willbe a god send
    jeff
    good luck and god blessing for for husband!!!
    he is blessed!!!